One of my Rules of Transformational Leadership is that “Your Reputation is Everything, So Protect it!”
Another of my rules is “Innovate Incessantly”
Now, what happens if the two don’t align?
What happens if your brand isn’t one that is associated with innovation?
Houston, we have a problem!
Because our brand isn’t what we think it is; it’s what other people think.
Ok, so when I read this article on the weekend, I found a solution.
Here’s the ARTICLE
And here’s what it says (I’ve adapted it slightly but the core principles are spot on):
- Associate yourself with the concept of innovation – read extensively, write a blog, send emails to lots of smart people every week. Day to day incidents will bring the anecdotes to life and you will start BEcoming the innovator.
- Take the time to practice innovative thinking – set aside some time each week – it’s a skill, and it is something you get better at with time. And spend time innovating with other people – shared experience and shared learning.
- Think about past life experiences and learn from them – what would you do differently next time? Why didn’t it work? What did you learn? You innovated and can do it again!
- Learn how successful innovators execute. Ideas need execution and execution is critical. Research it; ask questions; be intensely curious.
- So are people critical. Hang around with smart people who execute brilliantly. Engage them early.
- Look the part. Ok, seems glib, but people do judge a book by its cover. The book still needs to be a good read but looking the part helps.